The House of Books, opened in 1996, was erected on the site of the booksellers’ building, which was destroyed by bombs in 1943. Today, the House of Book houses the German booksellers’ association, several publishing houses, and a literature café. Author readings and other literary events take place almost every day.
In the building’s reception area, there’s a wall built entirely of books instead of stone or wood. A letter column stands in front of the building.
There’s a lot more to say about our visit in Leipzig, but that’ll have to wait until the next blog post.